Mass Communication Week is a four-day conference held each year in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Texas State University. It’s your chance to look to the future and hear professionals discuss issues, trends and careers in mass media. There are more than 35 events with 60+ speakers representing the fields of journalism, advertising, public relations, digital media and more. Students participate by covering the event, using social media and interacting with guests.
I served as the assistant director for this event for two years, handling logistics including speaker, parking and shuttle, room scheduling and event staffing. Moreover, I managed a public relations team consisting of undergraduate students. Some highlights of the PR efforts surrounding the event include:
- 58 posts on the www.txstatemcweek.com site during the month of October.
- The blog received more than 14,000 pageviews throughout October.
- The blog received 9000 pageviews during Mass Comm Week.
- There were 1145 tweets using the #mcweek hashtag.
- 318 tweets done to promote the event on the @txstatemcweek account.
- 368 mentions of @txstatemcweek.
- The Facebook page had 499 likes with 51 posts made in October.